Thursday, 15 March 2012

KJV

I've been reading Harold Bloom's latest, The Shadow of a Great Rock: a Literary Appreciation of the King James Bible, which is repetitiously full of his usual tics but also very much worth reading. The oddest verses quoted have to be Jeremiah 4:19-20, which remind me strongly of that episode of food poisoning I had in late January:

My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war.

Destruction upon destruction is cried; for the whole land is spoiled: suddenly are my tents spoiled, and my curtains in a moment.

The first verse is self-evidently appropriate, but I can vouch that there was a point about 3am on that apocalyptic night when the chintz might well have been at risk also.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...