Sunday, 3 July 2011

Fasting

I'm currently more-or-less-fasting, which is an incredibly useful spiritual experience for me and something I now do fairly regularly. It not only lightens the body but clarifies the mind, making it feel incredibly concentrated and oddly gathered. My thoughts increase in speed; I feel more awake; I become more sensitive but at the same time less sentimental.

There's a fine line to be walked between 'eating so little you feel exhausted' and 'eating just enough to feel spare and light.' The latter for me is about 600 calories a day, for up to two months. I know, before anyone starts, that that is very restricted---but I assure you that after three weeks on even less than that last year I not only looked better but felt fantastic. So a few days of fasting/mindful eating will do no harm---no booze helps too, of course.

The other secret is to start the period with a bentonite and psyllium husk internal cleanse. My God...it may be New Age woowoo, but I assure you I have never experienced such a dramatic improvement in my general sense of wellbeing and vitality as after 5 days on that. You can't go more than five feet from the lav, but everything has its price.

Time for my health-giving bowl of air!

6 comments:

Suem said...

At the risk of sounding like your maiden aunt, I am going to fret a bit and say that this sounds a little excessive to me. It is doubtless a lot better than gorging on lager and doner kebabs 24/7, but the high you can get from this type of restriction can become addictive and may make you more susceptible to developing an eating disorder.
OK, nag over!:)

Bo said...

I'm a bit old for an eating disorder now! (well into my 30s) ;)

Suem said...

You can develop them for the first time at any time in your life. If you are under a lot of stress emotionally or professionally, that can be a trigger. An eating disorder can offer people a way of exercising control over something tangible and being very self disciplined and a high achiever can be a factor.

Suem said...

Hey - you don't have to publish these comments BTW. Occurs to me that last one sounds like I'm diagnosing you or something! -I'm not, just I did suffer with an eating disorder myself at one point. Just sounding a note of caution!

Bo said...

I wouldn't worry too much (though I am v grateful for the concern!)---I've just had a steak dinner! :)

Suem said...

Yum- sounds lovely:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...