Saturday, 26 June 2010

Ill

Well, what happened there?! The end of the academic year, that's what, with its round of examining, conferring, form-filling, and meetings, problematized by a wheezing, weeping chest-infection which began the Sunday before last and is finally easing off a week later. Sometimes things just get the better of you: I have, I am glad to say, the constitution of an ox, but this felled me at the knees. Tucked up under the counterpane like a mobcapped Victorian spinster, I've been left with a sense of lassitude and exhaustion. Do people still make slippery elm food? How do you brew a nice beef-tea, suitable for invalids? Ought I to be soaking my trotters in a hot mustard bath?! I simply feel too feeble to find out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...