Sunday, 13 September 2009

Face/Off



Further to yesterday's post on Tori Amos, I must ask: what has she done to her dolly old eek?! She looks like a novelty candle of herself. I hope it's just duct-tape and butterfly-clips under that wig.

On that note, let me draw your attention to the work of the fabulously talented, but sadly late, Kevyn Aucoin, whose book Making Faces is one of the most gorgeous books about make-up ever written. Aucoin created a whole series of looks for Amos before his tragically early death at 40 from an undiagnosed pituitary tumour. Here's an Aucoined-Amos as Pocahontas---



---and as Simonetta Vespucci (is there any more beautiful name in the world?):



Aucoin was an expert at creating unnerving impersonations. Here's Callista Flockheart as Audrey Hepburn and Gwyneth Paltrow as James Dean (!)---



---followed by Winona Rider as Liz Taylor, with Gina Gershon as Sophia Loren:



Swooningly gorgeous. Reader, if I didn't spend my life sighing and saying, 'No, you've not translated the infixed pronoun', I'd have been a make up artist.* It's one of those things I just know instinctively I could do really well, unlike the much larger list of things I know I'd do really badly. For that matter, I want Lisa Eldridge's job: like, really, really want it. Look through her ravishing gallery of work here: old Naomi Wolf, whom (sorry Justine, I know you like her) I've always found a rather second-rate mind, can troll right off with her beauty myth. (Wolf is currently having a jolly old time defending the veiling of women in a fantastically dim piece in the Sydney Morning Herald.)

*Actually I'd probably have been a shrink or a garden designer, but never mind.

2 comments:

Ancestral Celt said...

I remember seeing Calista Flockhard in "The Birdcage" with Nathan Lane and Robin Williams and, in the wedding scene, thought she had an extraordinary resemblance to my idol, Audrey Hepburn.

It's very strange, indeed, to see her made up that way. I had no idea this had been done.

Bo said...

Oh good, well, something nice to see then :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...