Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Ye Voice of Ye Bushe. And ye Fisshe also.



St Anthony preaching to the fishes, which are presumably more worried about asphyxiation than the Gospel. I don't imagine the miracle of the Feeding of the Five Thousand went down especially well either.

* * *

As I was trotting back to my office after lunch today, I was addressed in a deep and resonant Jamaican accent by a Buddleia: 'Dey shal al be new creatures in Christ Jesus!!!' I was about to fall to my knees marvelling at this miraculous display of piety from the vegetable kingdom, when I realised that one of the gardeners had left her portable radio hidden behind a bush.

A sermon from a flowering shrub would not, however, be the weirdest form of preaching ever done in Cambridge. For that, we have to turn to 1627's Vox Piscis, or The Book-Fish, contayning three treatises which were found in the belly of a cod-fish in Cambridge market, on Midsummer Eve last. The story is described here.

4 comments:

Titus said...

I like an insoluble mystery.
Why aren't you green anymore?

Bo said...

I got better!

Sovay said...

. For that, we have to turn to 1627's Vox Piscis, or The Book-Fish, contayning three treatises which were found in the belly of a cod-fish in Cambridge market, on Midsummer Eve last. The story is described here.

I request a poem.

Titus said...

Occam's Razor.
Of course.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...